Medication Administration FAQ

Medication Administration FAQ

Medication Administration FAQ  
Q. Who is permitted to administer medications to students?

  •  A school nurse or student's parent or guardian
  •  A school staff designated and trained to administer epinephrine using an auto-injector per N.J.S.A.18A:40-12.5 and 12.6

 Q. Do I need an order for the nurse to administer my child's medication?

A. Yes, all medications require a physician order, parental consent and the medication provided in its original container.

Q. My child already has an order for medication administration during school hours. Do I need to get another order for the class trip?

A. Medication that has been previously prescribed for school time administration during this school year will be taken on the class trip. You will only need additional orders and consents if there are additional medications.

Q. I had an order for my child last year, is that order still valid?

A. No orders are only valid for one school year.

Q. Do I need a prescription for over the counter medication?

A. Yes, all over the counter medications require physician orders. This includes Tylenol, Advil, Midol, Aleve, Imodium, cough medicine, Lactaid… etc to name a few.

Q. My child takes homeopathic remedies. Do I need a nurse to administer this and do I need an order for this over the counter remedy?

A. Yes, herbal remedies are considered over the counter medications. A prescription or order is required. Parental consent and the remedy in its original container are also required. The nurse must administer any and all remedies.

Q. My child suffers from motion sickness on extended trips. What do I need for their medication?

A. Medication to treat motion sickness also requires a written order from your physician, parental consent and the medication in its original container.

Q. Does the Label on the prescription bottle serve as an order.

A. No, the bottle instruction does not serve as a prescription or order. The order needs to be written on a school medication form.

Q. Do I need an order for the inhaler?

A. Yes all inhalers require an order. There is a special form that needs to be used for inhalers. It is called an Asthma Action Plan and provides instruction for administration of the rescue medication as well as the maintenance medication. The Asthma Action Plan was developed by the Pediatric Asthma Coalition of NJ and is the only way asthma or inhaler medication can be prescribed.

Q. Where do I get the Asthma Action Plan?

A. The asthma action plan can be obtained from the nurse, or can be downloaded from this website under Medical Forms tab.

Q. Can my child self-administer the inhaler?

A. No, students in Fort Lee elementary schools are not allowed to self-administer or carry medications.

Q. Do I have to provide the medication?

A. The medication needs to be provided in its original container. They cannot be poured into a ziplock bag and sent in to the nurse. Pills poured into a ziplock back will be returned and only medications in their original container will be accepted.

Q. My son/daughter has lost the box for their inhaler. Can I just send in the inhaler?

A. The inhaler needs to have an official label. If your son/daughter has lost the label please contact your pharmacy and request a new label.

Q. What about eye drops or eardrops? Do I need an order for this medication?

A. Yes, whether the medication is prescribed or bought over the counter all order needs to be written by your health care provider.

Q. Do you keep the medication until the end of the school year and administer medication during the school day until the end of the school year?

A. It depends if your health care provider writes the order for a period of time or if the order is written for the rest of the school year then medications can be administered until the last day of the school year.

Q. What happens if I forget to pick up the medications?

A. The medication will be locked in the nurse's office. A notice will be sent home to remind you to pick-up the medication. Medication not picked up by 1pm on the last school day will be discarded.

Q. What about special treatments or procedures, do I need an order?

A. Any procedure also needs to be ordered by a health care provider/physician and supplies will need to be provided.

The health and safety of all the children is our primary goal. Please feel free to contact the school nurse with any questions or concerns. The school nurse can be reached at (201) 585-4640 ext. 3 or via e-mail at [email protected]